Paused due to the pandemic, our knitting workshops are back!
Individual or group classes of Max 4 people, so everyone gets machine time.
Our world-class team. knitwear designer and textile engineer, Connie Huffa, and master knit programmer, Bruce Huffa, will teach you where to start and how to approach knitwear design. We will take you through the machinery, and programming, and troubleshoot some manufacturing issues on industrial machinery. Bruce Huffa will personally take you through the M1+ and introduce you to the features and functions of industrial flat knitting machines as well as the feed systems and other important technology that makes designing and producing knitwear more profitable.
Who is this program for?
Our program is focused on professional designers, industrial engineers, brands, and startups.
5 DAY KNITWEAR DESIGN FOUNDATION COURSE
Day 1: Introduction and Overview:
Design, fibers, yarns, stitches, computers, and machinery.
- Building Design Strategy, Performance
- Fashion vs Technical Products
- Product Development / Design Thinking
- Intellectual Property - Copyright, trademarks
Day 2 - Fibers and Yarns
- Natural vs Synthetic
- Fiber Structure
- Yarn Structure and how it affects fabric making.
Day 3 - We'll Keep You In Stitches
- loop formations.
- Hand vs industrial machines
- How fabrics are formed.
- Parts of knitted Garments
- Types of stitches, shapings, And Proper Terms.
- Quality and efficiency of stitch types
- Different types of knitted footwear.
Day 4 - In-depth machinery introduction
- How machinery works
- Differences in Machinery types
- Selecting the correct machine type for the project
- Yarns vs Machine: Threading up the machine
- Feeders, Accessories & Troubleshooting efficiency and quality
- Costing Production, On-Demand & Custom Production
Day 5 - M1+ Basics
- Setting up designs by type
- Starts and Trim
- Adobe Photoshop parameters for knitting, and transferring to M1+
- Make your swatches on Stoll ADF or Stoll 530 HP
Bring Your questions and ideas. Ample local hotels and restaurants are available.
We are located North West of Los Angeles and minutes from Malibu Beach.
- Includes all yarn costs and your personal swatch library.
- We have Gauges 7, 12, and 14 Stoll Machinery
For more information on available dates and fees, or to register
contact us by clicking the button below.
Our studio has Stoll electronic knitting machinery. Materials in our class translate to ANY brand of knitting machinery, including Shima, Cixing, Steiger, Longxing, and others. To avoid conflicts of interest, we are not subsidized by any machine builder or yarn supplier. All content is our own.
Private classes by each company are also available. For more information on available dates and fees contact us at Info@fabdesigns.com